What is an electrical Home Safety Inspection ?
An electrical Home Safety Inspection is an inspection on the condition of an existing domestic electrical installation, to identify any electrical safety concerns or deficiencies against the Electricity Safety Act, Electrical Installations Regulations and Wiring Rules.
A Home Safety Inspection will:
- reveal if any electrical circuits or equipment is overloaded
- find any potential electrical hazards in the electrical installation
- identify any defective DIY electrical work
- highlight any lack of earthing or bonding
A Certificate of Home Safety Inspection will be issued within 2 days of the HSI identifying the condition of the domestic electrical installation.
Why you should get an electrical Home Safety Inspection (HSI)?
Every electrical installation deteriorates with use and age. You should get a HSI to ensure that your electrical installation is safe. It is recommended that you get a HSI:
- if the property is more than 25 years old;
- if the wiring is old;
- if you have concerns about installed equipment;
- every 5 years;
- prior to selling a property or when buying a previously occupied property
What happens during an electrical Home Safety Inspection?
- The electrician will perform a visual inspection and detailed tests. The power may be switched off for the detailed tests, the electrician will advise you of the specific HSI process and the impact when they arrive.
What happens after an electrical Home Safety Inspection?
- The electrician will reinstate the installation to a safe condition (if this cannot occur, the electrician will not reconnect the power). They will then advise you on the results of the HSI and explain the implications of the observations. You will receive a Certificate of Home Safety Inspection within 2 days of the HIS.
What will the Certificate of Home Safety Inspection show?
The Certificate of Home Safety Inspection will show:
- the overall condition of your electrical installation (Safe, Safe Requiring Remedial Work, or Unsafe)
- any limitations that existed with the inspection and testing
- the details of the electrician who undertook the HSI
- the details of where the HSI was undertaken
- items (if any) that require remedial work
How do I organise a home safety inspection?
- Phone: call our office friendly office staff between 9am and 5pm weekdays on 9532-0681
- Email: email us direct at firstname.lastname@example.org
What will the home safety inspection cost?
- Full safety inspection $146.00
- Cost includes detailed written report, certificate of safety and gst.